Underground Bourbon BBQ Sauce
Tomorrow is National Barbecue Day! We are bringing the sauce with Chef Scott Anderson, Chief Cook, Bottle Washer & Co-Owner of Community Garden Market in Shepherdstown, WV. He created an incredible Underground Bourbon BBQ Sauce. It is so good, seriously it will become your new favorite!
This variation of a traditional thick and rich tomato-based BBQ sauce is fully developed by the addition of our Cleveland Underground® Bourbon Whiskey Finished with Black Cherry Wood. The crisp mellowness of the bourbon whiskey brings out the seasonings and the richness of natural black cherry wood in the finished sauce. We used it on a Pork Butt Blade Steak but we encourage you to use it for all of your BBQ needs this summer.
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups Cleveland Underground Bourbon Whiskey Finished with Black Cherry Wood
- 1/4 cup Cleveland Underground Bourbon Whiskey Finished with Black Cherry Wood (reserved for the end)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 oz Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar (1 cup if you like your sauce less sweet)
- 1 tbsp chili powder (less if you like your sauce less spicy)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- In a large non-stick saucepan over medium-low heat mix all the ingredients, except for the 1/4 cup of bourbon, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir often so as not to burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/4 cup of Bourbon Whiskey then return to heat, stirring for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool, and portion up in 4 pint-sized containers, cover, and store in the fridge. Good in the fridge for 4-6 weeks, but it will never last that long!