A Wassail is a beverage made from hot mulled cider and spices, basically like the tastier sister to Apple Cider. It is drunk traditionally as a part of wassailing, which is an ancient English Yuletide drinking ritual used to ensure a good cider apple harvest the following year. We came up with a homemade Wassail Punch recipe that features our Rye Whiskey Finished with Black Cherry Wood, apple cider, and a mix of fruit juices, cinnamon, and raw honey!
Make a big pot of Wassail Punch for your family on Christmas Eve, it’s the perfect warm, cozy drink to enjoy when it’s cold and snowy outside. Plus, it will make your house smell amazing! You and your family will love this recipe.
Pro Tip: Warm your mug before pouring your concoction into it. Even though the punch is warm itself, keeping the mug warm will help it stay warmer longer!
- 1.5 oz Black Cherry Wood Rye
- 32 oz Apple Cider
- 1 cup Unsweetened Pomegranate Juice
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1 cup Unsweetened Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Fresh Lime Zest
- 1/4 cup Raw Honey
- 3/5 Black Cardamom Seeds
- 3 Allspice Seeds
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4/5 oz Szechuan Peppercorns
- Combine ingredients in a slow cooker set to its lowest heat setting and cook for 1-2 hours, then strain through a cheesecloth.
- In a warmed mug (use warm water out of a kettle, then discard once the glass is comfortably warm to hold), ladle 3-4oz of punch.
- Add 1 to 1.5oz Rye Whiskey.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and cinnamon stick.