The Sparkling Doubloons
Mardi Gras is the best excuse to throw a big party, but it’s also an excuse to eat some delicious deep-fried dough filled with any confiture or other sweet filling. In other words, it’s officially Pączki season! A pączki is made with especially rich dough containing eggs, fats, sugar, yeast, and sometimes milk. Families used to treat themselves one last time before lent began with these “donuts.” They originated in Poland and have been around since the Middle Ages. Pączki’s have become very popular in some areas of the United States, especially right here in our hometown, Cleveland. All of the local bakeries look forward to Fat Tuesday, as well as the customers.
A pączki by itself is one thing, but paired with a refreshing cocktail? That’s something else right there folks. Have yourself a day and craft “The Sparkling Doubloons!” I mean you can’t go wrong with a cocktail that is garnished with frozen grapes, and if you’ve never had a frozen grape then you should stop reading this and go get some. Our Black Reserve Bourbon stars in this crisp, refreshing cocktail. Go and have some fun today, and bring a few frozen grapes, I mean doubloons, with ya!
- 1 1/2 oz Black Reserve
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- 3 oz White Grape Juice
- Red and Green Grapes
- Brut Sparkling Wine
- 2 Dashes of Cherry Bitters
- First, clean and separate your grapes. Put them in a quart bag and freeze them.
- Combine Black Reserve, cherry bitters, lemon juice, and white grape juice in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until chilled.
- Take your frozen grapes and put them in your glass as if they were ice cubes. Pour your drink over the frozen grapes.
- Top with Brut Sparkling Wine.