Ellen “Ellie” Cashman was an absolute badass. An Irish immigrant fleeing the Great Famine, she traveled all over the American and Canadian West as a bar and restaurant owner, a nurse, gold prospector, and later worked to raise funds for charity while raising her sister’s five orphaned children in Tombstone, Arizona around the same time Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday were tearing it up.
While running boarding houses in Nevada and British Columbia for gold miners, she heard of a group that was starving in the Cassiar Mountains. She organized and led a rescue party for them, earning her the nickname “The Angel of the Cassiar.”
We can’t think of a better way to kick back on St. Patrick’s Day than with a soft cocktail filled with a bevvy of healthy ingredients and tonic to fortify (or console) your vigor on this popular drinking holiday.
You Will Need:
1 1/2 oz Cleveland Underground Hickory Wood Finished Bourbon
1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
3 oz V8 Sweet Greens juice
1/2 Tbsp Raw Honey
1 slice of cucumber
4 leaves of fresh basil
Lemon Twist for garnish
Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic Water*
Mint sprig for garnish
- Fill a Collins or Pint Glass with ice, top with water, and set aside to chill.
- In a shaker tin, muddle the cucumber with the Honey Locust Wood Finished Bourbon, lime juice, and mineral water.
- Add the raw honey and the V8 and shake aggressively without ice until the honey dissolves completely.
- Roll and spank (place between the palms of your hands, move them back and forth to roll the leaves up, then clap once to release the aromatics) the basil and toss into the shaker tin.
- Add ice and shake to serving temperature.
- Discard the ice water from the glass, fill with fresh ice.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Top with tonic water.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a lemon twist.
* Feel free to use any quality tonic