Classy Christmas Tom & Jerry
A Tom & Jerry is a traditional Christmas cocktail that originated in the 1800s. It was a favorite of the former president, Warren G. Harding, he used to serve it to his closest friends and family at his annual Christmas Party. It is known to be the original eggnog. Nowadays, you can just head out to the store and buy eggnog fairly easily. That didn’t stop us from going to the old school way of making the batter. We beat our egg whites and folded the egg yolk back in for an optimal taste. The Tom & Jerry batter will take some time and focus but is well worth it in the end. An original Tom & Jerry recipe calls for rum and brandy but we decided to use our Christmas Bourbon instead for a Classy Christmas Tom & Jerry. Have yourself a Classy Christmas!
Tom & Jerry Batter
You Will Need:
- 12 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oz Christmas Bourbon
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and place them in separate bowls.
- Add Cream of Tartar to the egg whites and whip with a mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl combine egg yolks, softened butter, and sugar and whip together until the mixture is a liquid.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites gently. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, vanilla extract, and Christmas Bourbon.
- Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to make the drinks.
Classic Christmas Tom & Jerry Drink
You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon Tom & Jerry batter
- 1 oz Christmas Bourbon
- 1 oz Rye Whiskey Finished with Black Cherry Wood
- 4 oz hot milk
- Grated nutmeg for garnish
- Fill cocktail mug(s) with hot water for a minute or two to warm them, empty them.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of Tom & Jerry batter and 1 oz each of Rye Whiskey and Christmas Bourbon to each mug.
- Fill with hot milk stirring constantly.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.