Horchata is a traditional Mexican-style beverage that is made up of white rice soaked in water and flavored with cinnamon and sugar. Our Christmas Horchata is a little bit more festive than a classic Horchata beverage you’d find at a Mexican Restaurant. We kept the cinnamon in for flavoring but also added, Akron Honey Bourbon Barrel Honey, Vanilla Extract, Clove, Cold Coffee, and of course, our Christmas Bourbon! The Christmas flavors make this the perfect cocktail to enjoy while baking Christmas cookies and treats.
Be sure to follow the instructions as they are, it is important to get the rice just right! We gave you two options in the Instructions, pick one and roll with it. For storage: The Horchata base will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
A heads up for lactose intolerant people, this cocktail does contain whole milk, so plan accordingly.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup Akron Honey Bourbon Barrel Honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon plus more for serving
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cold coffee
- 2-8 ounces Cleveland Christmas Bourbon
- Cinnamon Sugar for the rim of the glass
- Optional: Top with Whipped Cream
- Combine the rice and 2 1/2 cups of steaming hot water in a large bowl. Soak at room temperature for 2 hours, the rice will not be completely soft, this is OK. Alternately, you can use room temp water and soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pour the rice and water into a blender. Blend until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the honey, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Blend until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large pitcher or jar. Add the milk and stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve. Stir well before serving.
- To serve, rim each glass with cinnamon sugar if desired. Fill glasses with ice. Add the horchata, then pour over the coffee, using an amount to your liking. Add the Christmas Bourbon and stir to combine. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
- Storing: The Horchata base will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.